Ayodeji Baffy Atanda knows what it takes to make things happen, he has learnt to put in focus and persistence into his craft which has made him stand out in his field and geolocation.
During a recent interview with Free Surge, he discussed the challenges of the entertainment industry, his upcoming projects ‘Just TV Nigeria‘ and how the corona virus pandemic has affected his plans for the year.
• Good morning sir, I’ve heard people call you the Number 1 entertainer in Ogun State, for the sake of those who only know you as Baffy, please tell us your full names and other nicknames you are known by. What’s the Origin of the name Baffy? Have you changed it before? Tell us what you do.
Good morning, My real name is Ayodeji Atanda, am Yoruba by birth and Warri by association, Baffy is my brand name that has now turned into a full-time name. I have never changed the name, I have been known as Baffy since my secondary school days for those know me way back,
I am an entertainer, stand up comic, events mc, content creator, brand promoter, and showbiz consultant, I am also a professional actor/tv presenter. I have BSc and MSC in view, I am an entertainment person 100%.
• When every creative person wanted to be an actor, musician, why did you choose this line of creativity?
I choose to do stand up comedy/compere for a start because that is my first calling or let’s say, first love. I grew up in the age where comedy was not cherished in Nigeria and there were few comedians in the industry, I am naturally a funny person and I love to make people laugh… I can assure you there is still more to come because I am multi-faceted and multi-talented. As time goes on, I will unveil more.
• How long have you been doing this? Who are your major influences? Are you a member of any creative organization?
I have been in the entertainment business for over 10years, major influences, honestly, I haven’t even met most of them in person, Bill Cosby is my role model, and in Nigeria here I really admire Bovi… He is a true artist.
• Where have you performed? What are your favorite and least favorite venues? Do you have any upcoming shows?
Talking of performances… Wow. I cannot count the number of shows I have anchored and performed, from Glolafta fest to Airtel shows. I have anchored countless weddings, birthdays, house warmings, corporate shows, etc. And also my annual show ” Ijebu go laugh ‘ which has been on for 5 years in a row now… Lock-down started but here we are, we give glory to God for keeping us safe during the whole incidence that shook every corner of the world.
• The Coronavirus pandemic started as a joke, even the US president called it the Chinese Virus, jokingly on Live TV, but this virus has stopped everything in every part of the world and it been really devastating, how has this affected your line business? What are the steps you are taking to minimize the damage after the lockdown has been totally lifted?
6 Questions with: Ayodeji Baffy Atanda
No shows for now… The pandemic is really affecting the entire showbiz world and we that works in events are most particularly affected, shows were postponed, plans were put on hold, I was meant to celebrate my 10 years on stage this year, plans were in full gear before the lock-down started but here we are, we give glory to God for keeping us safe during the whole incidence that shook every corner of the world.
• Please tell us about your plans for the nearest future, and the far future, how you are planning to revolutionize the industry. Please if you have a word or two for young upcoming comedians out there please tell them, finally, what would you like to say to your fans all over the world?
Yeah. About steps, I am going to launch my online TV platform by the end of the month. its called JUST Tv Nigeria. It will feature a special segment for me, Just Jokes with Baffy D Comedian, so I believe that would help my social media profile and I know after the pandemic, the Fan base would have increased exponentially. For the young and coming up .. all I have to say is: be consistent, be humble, and don’t be scared of taking risks, if you fail, there is another chance to get to the top. To all our fans worldwide, I can only say Thanks for the love always, I will keep working hard to bring smiles to your faces.
Thank you Mr. Ayodeji Baffy Atanda for coming on our program, may your days be long
You can follow Funnyboi Baffy on Instagram: instagram.com/baffycomedian
You can follow Funnyboi Baffy on Twitter: twitter.com/baffycomedian1